Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Winter Vacation



Since it's still winter here we went up North to go skiing with a few friends. There were 6 couples and one guy whose wife couldn't make it. I knew 2 people from work and 2 people from a wedding I was in here. The other people were high school and college friends of my work friend. We rented a huge condo at Boyne Mountain. Its on the West coast of Michigan and was an easy 3 1/2 hour drive. It is a beautiful area. Because we were the couple without another close couple friend with us we lucked into the master suite. King bed, private bath/shower, flat screen TV, and a door that opened to a hot tub patio with a fireplace. The only problem was we had the coldest room in the house. At one point I got up at night to go to the bathroom and my teeth were chattering!

We were the first to arrive. My friend Janay arranged the whole thing and rode up there with us. Because we got there first we had time to go tubing down the mountain. We layered up and went out to play. When we got in the shuttle after we were done the driver told us it was 8 degrees! I thought the wind was getting colder as I zoomed down the mountain. My poor West Texas face/skin was so cold and wind chapped when we got back I looked like I had a bad allergic reaction. My face was red and swollen and felt like I had been burned, but it was WAYYYYYY worth it. I loved it.

The next day we went skiing. Neither of us had ever been and it was quite an experience. All in all I really enjoyed it. I do have a HUGE fear of heights and the ski lift was terrifying to me. After a few times up on it I relaxed a little. Skiing came fairly easily to me, I had quite a knack for trolling down the mountain and going really slow! Patrick on the other hand would whiz by me and then baseball slide to stop. It was hilarious to me but hard to watch him fall like that. He was a trooper and made the best out of it. I met a little boy and his dad on the ski lift and asked to share the seat with them (I was alone). The little boy was SO MAD that his dad let me share with them. Oddly enough his name was Alex, it made me laugh!

The hit of the weekend was UNO ATTACK! that Pat bought me for Christmas. If you don't have it I recommend it highly. It's a great game for groups. All in all it was a great weekend but we were really glad to have a day at home to recuperate. We even had to stop at a mall to walk off the soreness on the way home.




It was a nice end (hopefully) to the winter season. It "warmed" up today to 40 degrees and I grilled. It was great. Our one year anniversary of moving here is coming up soon. I can't believe how blessed we have been. We are very happy and still enjoy it here. Hope we have many more visitors in year two!

No comments: