I DID IT!!!!!!!!! I finished the Detroit half-marathon this morning. I feel good now but after mile 9 I was wondering what I was thinking. My training runs, which were almost 12 miles, were NOT that painful. The biggest problem was it never warmed up and my muscles got too cold on the last 4 miles. It took me a good hour to warm up again after the race. I was not made to be a midwesterner and maybe a marathoner for that matter! I bet my pace (which was close to 10 min miles in the beginning) slowed to 12 or so. I was beat but I finished and I am happy about that. We ran from downtown detroit over the Ambassador Bridge (it was sunrise) to Canada and back in the underwater tunnel.

Ambassador Bridge
Patrick and my mom were troopers staying out in the cold while I finished. It was probably about 30-40 degrees. All the buildings kept the downtown shaded so it felt a lot colder. They were happy to see me cross the finish line but Patrick said I looked mad when I ran by him to the finish. I was smiling on the inside only I guess! HA! It was a great way to see my city and to be inspired by people toughing out the real tragedies in life. One man had shirt that said he started Marathoning in 2000 when he got his first cancer, now he has had 9 kinds of cancer and run 10 marathons since. He was probably 70. I had to suck it up then! I will post more pictures later from the race and all the fun stuff that has been going on lately.Oh and I did wear a Texas Tech t-shirt and got quite a few shout outs from the stage performers. Go Tech!

1 comment:
I am so proud of you! Can you inspire me to get back on my training program?
Post a Comment